1/13/07
It's so shiny. So appealing to every single one of my fleshly senses. My hands
yearn for its touch. The box granted me unfathomable promises of hope! Of
entertainment. It offered me happiness and satisfaction. I needed this iPod.
1/14/07
I bought it. My shaking hands, trembling with excitement as I braced myself
for a new life. It had to be true. The box promised new life! New birth! I clutched
my new idol and viciously began to download songs. I couldn't wait. I couldn't wait.
1/15/07
Ugh. It was Sunday. I had to wake up early. For what. Church. I wasn't feelin it.
Not since I got my iPod at least. For real. I could be jamming to it all day instead
of listening to some guy talk. I brought it along.
The sermon was about prayer. I don't even know. I was getting bored. I plugged
in my iPod. The box was right! Happiness. Satisfaction. All from my playlist.
I loved it. I lusted for it. I needed it. It filled me. Drowned out the sermon.
Church was over. Finally. I wasn't in the mood for it. I downloaded more songs.
My playlist was the real deal. The song of lust was so dang catchy. I loved it.
I went outside, I wanted to bond with my new friend. My life saver.
My iPod was on shuffle. The song of lust finished. Next was the song of drugs.
I liked the beat. Made me feel uplifted, invincible. I kept walking down the street.
It was the song of hobbies. I liked the song. Pushed me to have purpose in my life, you know?
As I crossed the intersection, another song came on. The song of self-accomplishment.
The words rang sweet in my ears. I would truly be happy. Then the song of following your
dreams in this world. I felt so happy. The song motivated me to follow my dreams to become
that famous actor. That famous filmstar. That famous model.
"ALEX."
I didn't hear it. Didn't hear him yelling from across the street. Didn't matter anyway.
My favorite song was blaring. The song reminded me that friends meant happiness.
"ALEX."
Not that time either. I was bobbing my head to the beat. I was SO into it. I finally
had it. I finally felt free. So happy.
"ALEX."
I heard it. But it was too late. The car hit me. They didn't see me turn the bend.
They were going too fast. I couldn't scream. I couldn't react. It was so fast. And
my iPod didn't save me.
I didn't hear God. My iPod of this world trapped me. The volume became louder,
louder, louder, until I was consumed by the lyrics. The sweet lyrics of false hope.
Hope that I would be happy. The box promised me happiness. The happiness
only lasted until I took off the earplugs and faced reality.
And it did nothing to save me from my fate.
Take off your iPod.
God's calling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment